22 March 2020

[audio and video] Wolves in the Throne Room live in San Diego, 19 July 2014

Wolves in the Throne Room live at Ché Café at UCSD, San Diego, California, 19 July 2014.

Mirrored here-


I don't think this is the complete show. Their songs tend to be very long, and I think they only played three this night, and I think I missed the first one. Still, the second and third songs go for more than 30 minutes, so I thought it was worth posting.

I think what happened was this-

Ché Café is just a small room on the campus of UC San Diego, and is student-run. At the time of this recording (I think they've since closed down), they had some very old equipment, and the main mixing board didn't have any way for me to record except to use the headphone jack. It had no RCA outs, no 1/8" group outs, no XLR outs, no nothing except some outputs to get the signal to the main PA speakers. That's not ideal, but I've used the headphone jack plenty of times before and I can get perfectly useable audio that way, but I would never do that without asking the person mixing the show if it was OK if I took that output, meaning that the mix engineer wouldn't be able to listen on headphones.

So, that's what I did, and no doubt the mixer guy said 'ya, no problem, I won't need headphones, I'll just listen to the PA.'

And of course, once the show starts, he realizes that he, in fact, does need them, so he doesn't even hesitate to unplug my cable so he can listen and mix the show on headphones. It's little consolation, but at least he set the mix during the first song and then plugged my cable back in for the second and third songs.

I video’d both songs. View them here-



No comments:

Post a Comment