10 January 2020

[audio] Medicine live in San Diego, 13 September 2013

Mirrored here-


Kim Gordon (ex-Sonic Youth) organized a big ol' indie music festival in San Diego for a weekend in the fall of 2013, with all sorts of bands playing in clubs all over town. I recorded indie rock shoegaze legends Medicine at The Void on 13 September.

This show featured lots of technical difficulties. I don't remember what exactly the problems were, but I edited out a couple gaps of no music of two or three or four minutes in the middle of this set. Problems with drums or mics or vocals? I don't remember. And even now, you'll hear guitarist Brad Laner do a four and a half minute improvisational noise thing at about the 26 minute park, because I think the bassist broke a string and had to replace it.

So, not the smoothest show, but at well over an hour, they do manage to play a bunch of tunes.

For me, doing the mixing and mastering of rock bands is much different than electronic music artists. With electronic music, there's no acoustic sound coming off the stage, so it's very easy for me to control, and I usually end up using about 85 or 90% board feed versus 15 or 10% room sound in the final mix.

With rock music, the board feed always sounds super awkward because there's so much acoustic sound coming off stage (drums, guitar amps, bass amps), that the board feed doesn't usually have much more to it than vocals. So, I end up using a whole lot more of the room mics in the final mix with rock bands. It's usually more like 50/50 board feed vs room mics.

Here’s a bunch of videos I made of this performance-





No comments:

Post a Comment